Our popular 16 day Iceland camping tour is a budget-friendly trip that takes you to all the highlights of Iceland including the remote Westfjords. This in-depth tour circumnavigates the whole island and also gives you an option to visit the Central Highlands as well as the active Fagradalsfjall volcano which has been erupting intermittently since 2021. Our Iceland tour is suitable for all ages and anyone with a passion for adventure travel!
Price: £2926 (£182 per day)
Length: 16 days, 15 nights
Accommodation: 100% camping
Transport: 100% custom-built Madventure overland truck
Meals: 15 breakfasts ; 15 evening meals provided
Age restrictions: none, all ages are welcome
Group size: 20 is average, minimum is 10, maximum is 26
Our itinerary has been designed to show you the best of Iceland in a comfortable timeframe. The itinerary rarely changes on this tour but please be prepared to accept minor itinerary changes in the event we encounter any problems.
Today we all meet at the Reykjavík Campsite and a pre-departure meeting will be held at 18H00 for those who would like to attend.
An early arrival on day 1 will ensure you allow enough time to have a wander around Iceland’s colourful capital city Reykjavík which is home to some superb museums, historic buildings and lively pubs.
Dinner will be provided at the campsite this evening after the pre-departure meeting so feel free to attend and meet your fellow travellers over dinner and drinks.
Our first night will be spent camping at the Reykjavík Campsite.
We depart Reykjavík Campsite at 0800 and head north to the beautiful Snæfellsnes Peninsula where the mammoth Snæfellsjökull Glacier dominates the centre of the peninsula and offers a beautiful backdrop to the surrounding scenery.
In the morning we journey around the peninsula, first visiting the sights at Arnarstapi, where there are rock arches and basalt columns, backed by a black pebble beach, before stopping for lunch at the small fishing port of Ólafsvík.
After lunch we continue to the dramatic 463m tall Kirkjufell Mountain, walk amongst the other-worldly lava fields at Berserkjahraun and learn all about Greenland Sharks at the Bjarnarhöfn Shark Museum. At the Shark Museum there is also an opportunity to sample the traditional Icelandic food of fermented shark.
Tonight we camp in Stykkishólmur.
Today we take a drive along dramatic coastal scenery to reach the remote Westfjords and Látrabjarg Sea Cliffs, Europe’s most westerly point home to millions of sea-birds including Skuas, Arctic Terns, Guillemots, Eider Ducks, Razorbills and of course the iconic Atlantic Puffins!
Tonight we camp a short distance away from the puffin nesting cliffs at a beautiful campsite close to the deserted Breiðavík beach where anyone brave enough can take a cool dip in the Atlantic Ocean.
This morning we will visit the famous Gardar BA64 shipwreck, Iceland’s oldest steel ship that was run aground here in 1981 after decades of faithful service.
The rest of the day is spent exploring the remote Westfjords, one of Iceland’s most beautiful regions and unseen by most tourists as it is so far off the beaten track.
As we hug the roads around the blue fjords we pass through numerous picturesque fishing villages and also visit Dynjandi, the largest waterfall in the Westfjords.
We end the day at a campsite close to the charming capital of the Westfjords, Ísafjörður.
Today we continue around the dramatic Westfjords coastline and have lunch in Hólmavík, a small village famous for its Witchcraft Museum.
We end the day camping in the grounds of a country hotel in Húnavellir, close to Blönduós, where you have the option to have a dip in a thermal pool.
We start the day by travelling around the Tröllaskagi Peninsula on Route 76 which is rated as one of Iceland’s most picturesque drives with dramatic coastal and mountain scenery.
At lunchtime we arrive at Iceland’s ‘capital of the north’ Akureyri and have the rest of the day to explore the city’s museums & gardens or just relax in the old town sipping locally brewed craft beer and sampling some of Iceland’s best cuisine.
Tonight we camp close to Akureyri.
Not far out of Akureyri we spend an hour at the impressive Goðafoss waterfall before continuing to Lake Mývatn, the undisputed gem of the northeast with a landscape full of spluttering mud-pots, weird lava formations, steaming fumaroles and volcanic craters.
Our journey around Lake Mývatn includes stops at Skútustaðagígar craters, lava pillars at Höfði, Dimmuborgir lava fields, Hverfjall volcano crater and Grjótagjá lava caves.
We end the day close to the shores of Lake Mývatn where you have the option to spend the afternoon relaxing at the Nature Baths, the Blue Lagoon of the North.
We will spend tonight camping close to Reykjahlíð village.
Today you have a free day to relax at Lake Mývatn or you have the option of travelling by 4×4 into the Central Highlands to visit one of Iceland’s most spectacular sights, Askja caldera, a sulphur-blue lake born out of the cataclysmic volcanic eruption in 1875. The nearby Viti crater offers the option for a geothermal swim. The journey to Askja takes you through an area that was used by NASA during training for the Apollo program, to prepare astronauts for the lunar missions. This stark, barren and otherworldly landscape is one of Iceland’s many dramatic and unique scenes, and it won’t take long to appreciate why NASA used the area.
We will spend tonight camping close to Reykjahlíð village.
This morning we will visit the Hverir geothermal area where we spend an hour walking through a truly unique orangy-red landscape of fumaroles, large mud pools and steam vents.
We continue to the impressive Krafla caldera, a beautiful sight in a region of extreme geothermal activity where you can walk up to the crater rim and look down into the turquoise waters within the crater.
A couple of hours away on the north coast we reach the town of Húsavík, undeniably the best place in Iceland to go whale watching. Those who wish to see these magnificent creatures up close can spend the afternoon whale watching on a boat tour where you have the chance to see humpbacks, minke and blue whales.
Those who do not wish to do the whale watching tour can spend the day exploring the small town of Húsavík, a pretty fishing town with an interesting whale & exploration museum. End the day soaking yourself in the spectacular geothermal heated pools overlooking the North Atlantic.
We will spend tonight camping in the town of Húsavík.
Today we will drive through the Vatnajökull National Park, to visit a huge canyon that ends at Europe’s most powerful waterfall, Dettifoss. Standing on the edge overlooking this gushing torrent is an experience not to be missed!
Just upstream from Dettifoss you will find Selfoss waterfall, well-worth the half hour trek for outstanding views.
In the afternoon we will continue to Seyðisfjörður, a picturesque little town in eastern Iceland situated at the end of a fjord surrounded by steep mountains and famed for its rainbow street. The town is a step back in time and is crammed with 19th century timber buildings, quaint coffee shops and traditional restaurants.
We will spend this evening camping in the heart of Seyðisfjörður.
This morning we will stop to see the beautiful Gufufoss waterfall before we take the scenic route through the mountains to reach the south coast.
We will stop for lunch in the small fishing village of Djúpivogur, a pretty village nestled on the side of a fjord. From here, we continue the drive along Iceland’s spectacular eastfjords, eventually reaching one of the country’s most iconic sights, Vestrahorn. On a clear day you can see this majestic mountain range rising out of the sea to produce one of the most stunning vistas on the island!
Further along the coast we reach the town of Höfn, where we spend the night.
Driving along this part of the south coast we have a good chance of spotting wild reindeer before reaching one of Iceland’s most iconic sights, the Jökulsárlón Glacier Lagoon. Here you have the option to take a boat trip amongst the ancient icebergs and walk along Diamond Beach, a stretch of black sand littered with icebergs.
Further along the coast we encounter the fairytale-like church of Hofskirkja, the last turf church ever built in Iceland.
Our final destination today is Skaftafell National Park where we will spend 2 nights camping to allow us enough time to visit this amazing area of outstanding beauty.
Today is a great day to get your hiking boots on and hit one of Skaftafell’s many hiking trails that lead to incredible views of glaciers, waterfalls and mountains. The more adventurous can put on their crampons and go glacier trekking. The less adventurous can kick back and enjoy a cold beer with a magnificent view.
We will spend this evening camping in Skaftafell National Park.
From Skaftafell we continue to the remote seaside village of Vík where you have time to shop for some Icelandic souvenirs before heading over the hill to the world-famous Reynisfjara black sand beach. Enormous basalt stacks, dramatic rock arches, roaring Atlantic waves and stunning panoramas make this one of the world’s most highly rated non-tropical beaches and a great place for us to have lunch.
This afternoon we continue to the spectacular Skógafoss waterfall, one of Iceland’s largest and most famous.
Later in the day we also visit Seljalandsfoss, a unique waterfall distinguished by the fact that you can fully encircle the falls via a path that leads you behind the cascading water and out the other side.
At the end of the day we reach Geysir, the place after which all other geysers are named, where we spend the night at a campsite with a view over a steaming landscape.
We start the day with a visit to Iceland’s most iconic waterfall, Gullfoss. This powerful waterfall plummets down 32 metres in 2 stages into a rugged canyon, an awesome spectacle.
A short drive away we now visit Geysir where you have time to wander through an extraordinary landscape of bubbling hot springs and steaming fumaroles. The geysers have been active for perhaps 800 years and still erupt regularly enough for you to get a natural geothermal shower during your visit!
We continue to Þingvellir National Park where the American and Eurasian tectonic plates meet to form an incredible fissured rift valley. This is also Iceland’s most important historic site where the vikings established the world’s first democratic parliament.
We end the day at Grindavík, a beautiful Icelandic fishing town on the south coast of the Reykjanes Peninsula where we camp near the town centre. If the weather is good we may decide to visit the active Fagradalsfjall volcano this evening.
PLEASE NOTE: This last night at Grindavík is subject to change depending on the volcanic activity in the area.
We start the final day of the tour with a visit to the active Fagradalsfjall volcano which has been erupting intermittently since early 2021. A 20 minute walk takes us up to the steaming lava fields where you can see a valley filled with molten rock and the scars of where it flooded down the valley sides. This is a once in a lifetime experience you will never forget!
Our tour ends upon arrival back in Reykjavík in the mid-afternoon. Accommodation is not provided tonight as many people fly home today but should you wish to spend tonight in Reykjavik you are welcome to stay at the Reykjavík campsite where the tour officially ends. For anyone who does stay in Reykjavík tonight we usually have a group farewell dinner at a local restaurant close to the campsite.
How to book
To make a booking please fill in our online booking form and then pay a £300 deposit by bank transfer, Paypal or credit/debit card over the phone. Once we receive your online booking form and deposit we will confirm your booking by email and send you all relevant information necessary for your tour preparations.
The Tour Payment of £2926 is the complete payment for your tour and is payable in the U.K. in GBP (£ Sterling). In order to reserve a place on this tour you must pay £300 as a deposit. Eight months prior to departure a further payment of £1000 must be paid to secure your booking. The final balance of your Tour Payment £1626 must then be paid in full at least four months prior to the tour start date. If you book between 4 to 8 months prior to the departure date a deposit of £1300 should be paid upon booking. If you book within 4 months of the departure date the full Tour Payment of £2926 should be paid upon booking.
The Tour Payment can be paid by credit/debit card, bank transfer or Paypal.
Please call or Whatsapp us on +44 7712 225 438 to make a payment using your credit or debit card.
Bank Details for Direct Transfers
NOTE: Please use your full name as a reference when paying by direct transfer.
Account name: Madventure Ltd.
Sort code: 400810
Account number: 91618415
IBAN : GB14HBUK40081091618415
Swift/Bank BIC: HBUKGB4B
Branch BIC: HBUKGB4116A
Bank address: HSBC Bank, 6 High Street, Abingdon, Oxfordshire, OX14 5AZ, United Kingdom
Paypal account name: email@example.com
Below is a list of the most popular optional excursions along with the most recent prices. Prices can of course change and are not controlled in any way by Madventure so please use the list below as an approximate guide only.
Mt. Kirkjufell – free
Shark museum – £10
Berserkjahraun lava fields – free
Latrabjarg bird-cliffs – free
Dynjandi waterfall – free
Holmavik Witchcraft Museum – £10
Godafoss waterfall – free
Myvatn Lake – free
Hverfjall Crater – free
Myvatn Nature Baths – £38
Krafla crater – free
Hverir geothermal area – free
Husavik whale watching tour – £60
Husavik puffin & whale watching tour – £100
Dettifoss waterfall – free
Askja caldera – £185
Jokulsarlon Iceberg Lagoon – free
Diamond Beach – free
Amphibian boat trip on Jokulsarlon Iceberg Lagoon – £35
Zodiac boat trip on Jokulsarlon Iceberg Lagoon – £60
Skaftafell hiking – free
Skaftafell glacier trekking – £60
Reynisfjara black sand beach – free
Skógafoss – free
Seljalandsfoss – free
Geysir – free
Gullfoss waterfall – free
Thingvellir National Park – free
Fagradalsfjall active volcano hike – free
We will be travelling in a custom-built Madventure overland vehicle 100% of the time on this tour. Our vehicle can accommodate up to 26 people.
Comfort and safety is of course a big factor during expeditions of this length and nature so all our vehicles have high-backed coach seats with safety belts. The seating is on the upper level of the vehicle giving you an almost 360° view of the surrounding scenery.
Our vehicles are designed to allow sufficient luggage storage and are also equipped with lockers to keep all your gear safe.
Our long range diesel and water tanks ensure our self sufficiency in remote areas and the equipment we take with us is also of vital importance. In case of a breakdown we are equipped with a good selection of spare parts as well as a comprehensive tool kit to undertake any necessary repairs on our own as and when we need to.
There may also be times when we get stuck in the sand or mud when travelling off road so all necessary recovery equipment such as sand mats, cables, ropes, shovels and pickaxes are also on board.
We usually carry 400 litres of treated drinking water and we are equipped with a good kitchen which includes all cutlery, plates, cups, pots and pans, utensils, gas cooker, BBQ grate, tables, etc.
Our vehicles are also equipped with a small fridge which is used for the cook group’s breakfast and dinner food only. For personal food and drinks we have cooler boxes for everyone to use.
Comfortable fold up chairs are provided for outdoor seating and we also have a large cook tent to keep us dry on those rainy days.
Our vehicles are equipped with USB charging points only so try and bring all of your important electronic devices such as telephone, tablet and head-torch to charge from a USB socket. We do not have a 120V or 240V power supply on the vehicle but you will have the opportunity to charge your 120/240V electronic equipment at the campsites we stay at.
We carry a comprehensive first aid kit for emergencies but we do recommend you bring your own for general use.
Eating well is a very important factor on our tours and good food is vital for everyone’s health and well-being so we always strive to prepare healthy, wholesome and plentiful meals.
15 breakfasts and 15 evening meals are provided during this tour and will be prepared from our own kitchen on the truck. For lunch we usually stop at a supermarket or a restaurant giving you a chance to taste the local fare too. Lunch is at your own expense.
When it comes to shopping and cooking we will divide ourselves up into groups of 3 or 4 people (depending on group size) who will shop for and prepare the day’s meals and clean up at the end. This will work out that you roughly get to cook once a week (depending on numbers).
Fresh food is generally available daily so we try to eat meat and vegetables for every main evening meal. We do also cater for vegetarians but we cannot cater for fussiness. In these group situations everybody must appreciate we cannot cater for individual likes and dislikes.
Don’t worry if you are not a gourmet cook as your crew are also always there to give advice.
All our vehicles are equipped with a small fridge which is used for the cook group’s food only. For personal food and drinks we have cooler boxes for everyone to use.
Cleanliness plays an important role throughout this expedition and your crew will make sure an acceptable level of general hygiene is maintained throughout your journey to ensure the wellbeing of the group.
You will spend 100% of your time on this tour in your tent camping.
We use designated campsites with amenities every night on this tour so you will have shower facilities and ablutions available daily.
From past experience we have found that people prefer to supply their own tents as they are then not forced to share and they can pick a tent that suits their needs. As a general rule try and choose a good quality, lightweight, compact, waterproof & windproof tent that is easy to erect, take down and carry.
1. Your contract is with Madventure Limited, a company registered in England and Wales (Company No. 6809461) whose office is at 10 Ablett Close, Oxford, OX4 1XH, United Kingdom.
2. A deposit of £300 is payable at the time of booking. The deposit is non-refundable unless Madventure is unable to offer you a place or you cancel within 14 days of the initial booking date. Madventure guarantees not to increase the tour price once the deposit has been received.
3. A booking is made in the name of the client and is not transferable to another person. You are only permitted to transfer your deposit once to a future tour, after that a further £300 non-refundable deposit will be required to book another tour. Please note that you will be affected if you have transferred and there is a price increase as you will have to pay the current tour price at the time that the tour balance payment is due.
4. Eight months prior to departure a further payment must be received to cover 50% of the total tour price in order to secure your booking. This payment is non-refundable unless we can not provide the tour. The final 50% balance of your tour payment must then be paid in full at least four months prior to the tour start date at which time the tour will be confirmed to run. Once the tour is confirmed to run you will not receive any refunds of any monies paid. If the full payment is not received 4 months prior to departure Madventure may deem the booking cancelled and all monies paid will be forfeited. If you book within the 4 to 8 month period prior to departure a non-refundable 50% deposit of the total tour price should be paid upon booking. If you book within the 4 month period prior to departure the full non-refundable 100% tour payment must be paid upon booking.
5. Cancellation of a booking must be notified in writing and when received by Madventure any monies paid will be forfeited. You acknowledge that payment for the tour is an intrinsic part of the tour’s income and contributes towards the overall costs of equipment, vehicle running costs, staff administration, travel permits, etc. and Madventure will have incurred a large part of its costs before the actual departure date. You will not receive a refund of any amount after the tour has been confirmed to run (which will usually happen no later than 4 months prior to the tour departing). We therefore recommend you take out your travel insurance from the date you make your final tour balance payment, 4 months prior to departure, so you are insured if you have to withdraw off the tour. If the reason for your cancellation is covered under the terms of your insurance policy you may be able to reclaim these charges but it is your sole responsibility to do so and we accept no liability for any acts or omissions of your insurance company.
6. It is unlikely that we will have to make any changes to your tour, but we do plan all tours many months in advance. Occasionally, we may have to make changes and we reserve the right to do so at any time. Most of these changes will be minor and we will advise you of them at the earliest possible date. We also reserve the right in any circumstances to cancel your tour. For example, if the minimum number of clients required for a particular tour is not reached, we may have to cancel it. However, we will not cancel your tour less than 4 months before your departure date (except for reasons of Force Majeure). If we are unable to provide the tour for any reason you can either have a full refund of all monies paid within 14 working days of the tour being cancelled or accept an offer of an alternative tour of comparable standard from us, if available (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value). In the event of the tour being cancelled prior to departure, all monies paid by you towards the tour cost only will be refunded. In the event of a cancellation Madventure is not responsible for reimbursing costs of equipment, flights, visas, vaccinations, medications, etc. purchased by yourself so we therefore recommend you have suitable travel insurance to ensure these types of expenses are covered under the terms of your insurance policy as you may be able to reclaim these charges but it is your sole responsibility to do so and we accept no liability for any acts or omissions of your insurance company.
7. In the unlikely event of a Force Majeure situation that forces us to cancel the tour within 4 months of the planned departure date because of unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, you can either have a full refund of all monies paid within 14 working days of the tour being cancelled or accept an offer of an alternative tour of comparable standard from us, if available (we will refund any price difference if the alternative is of a lower value). In the unlikely event of a Force Majeure situation that forces us to cancel or change the tour while it is underway because of unusual or unforeseeable circumstances beyond our control, we will not refund you or pay you compensation. Therefore, we recommend you have suitable travel insurance as, if the reason for the tour cancellation while underway is covered under the terms of your insurance policy, you may be able to reclaim these charges, but it is your sole responsibility to do so and we accept no liability for any acts or omissions of your insurance company. Force Majeure situations can include, for example, war, riot, industrial dispute, terrorist activity and its consequences, natural or nuclear disaster, fire, epidemics, pandemics, health risks, closed or congested airports, ports or stations, poor local infrastructure, changes imposed by rescheduling or cancellation of transport by the transport supplier such as flights by airlines or main charterer, the alteration of transport or transport types, adverse weather conditions (actual or threatened), avalanche and technical failure with transport, Foreign & Commonwealth Office advice changing and advising against travel to the tour destination.
8. If you choose to leave the tour for any reason on your own accord once the tour is underway you will not receive any compensation from Madventure including any refunds of the tour payment and/or the local payment. We therefore recommend you have suitable travel insurance as if the reason for your departure is covered under the terms of your insurance policy you may be able to reclaim these charges but it is your sole responsibility to do so and we accept no liability for any acts or omissions of your insurance company.
9. We reserve the right at any time prior to the departure date, without prior consultation with yourself, to merge your tour with one or more other tours travelling at the same time. This will not constitute a major change and would usually just mean swapping vehicles.
10. The tour payment and local payment cover transport, accommodation, some related ferry and train tickets, meals and national park entry fees as specified on the website, repair of our expedition vehicle as well as repair and replacement of camping equipment including stools, cooking equipment & utensils.
11. The tour leader has sole responsibility for the local payment. Any local payment monies or stock remaining at the tour end are non-refundable.
12. You undertake to comply with the laws and regulations, whether in respect of health, immigration, currency exchange control, dress or any other matter of all the countries visited during the tour.
13. You undertake to obtain a valid passport and have enough blank pages in the passport for the tour and your specific passport and visa requirements. Immigration requirements are your responsibility and you should confirm these with the relevant embassies and/or consulates. We do not accept any responsibility and shall not be liable if you cannot travel or cannot participate in any part of the tour because you have not complied with any passport, visa or immigration requirements. You are responsible for obtaining and having available the necessary documents (including but not limited to full, current passport with enough blank pages to complete the trip and valid for at least 6 months from the last day of the tour and visas for all periods, countries and territories within the tour) enabling you to participate in the tour and shall comply with all local legislation and regulations of the countries in which the tour takes place (including immigration requirements, customs regulations and currency exchange). You shall indemnify us against any loss or expense that we may incur or suffer as a result of breach of this condition by you. We cannot guarantee visa prices and availability of visas. Ultimately visas are your own responsibility to obtain.
14. Madventure reserves the right to deviate from the advertised tour route if in their reasonable opinion such deviation is necessary for the safety or well-being of any or any one of the members of the tour or for the satisfactory progress of the tour. In the event of it becoming necessary to fly over a country or countries in order to satisfactorily and safely continue the tour, all costs of your flights will be borne by yourself.
15. Madventure accepts no responsibility for matters arising out of political disputes, border closures, epidemics, pandemics, natural disasters, climate, armed robbery, terrorism, etc. Should it become necessary to abandon a tour because of such an event Madventure will be entitled to retain all monies paid. We therefore recommend you have suitable travel insurance as if the reason for cancellation is covered under the terms of your insurance policy you may be able to reclaim these charges but it is your sole responsibility to do so and we accept no liability for any acts or omissions of your insurance company.
16. You accept that owing to the nature of countries visited, all tours involve an element of personal risk and are of a potentially hazardous and unpredictable nature. In many countries we visit, the basic infrastructure, such as roads, is very poor and therefore less safe than that familiar to people from many western countries. In particular, lack of road markings or warning signs, unmarked speed bumps, seasonal flooding of roads and bridges, local vehicles which are poorly maintained and driven and which are hazardous to other road users etc. are factors beyond the control of Madventure. You accept that in some areas we drive off-road and that this involves personal risk when the expedition vehicle can be negotiating rough terrain. Madventure owns and operates many of its own expedition vehicles and employs its own crew. Where stated, locally arranged transport and crew, including trains, ferries, buses or coaches are used. Where Madventure’s own vehicles and/or crew are not used for the above services, you agree that the obligation of Madventure to yourself is to select normally competent, independent subcontractors to provide the necessary services related to the tour and to exercise reasonable care in selecting such suppliers to provide these. You also accept that you undertake this tour at your own risk and your participation is your own decision and does not form any part of your contract with Madventure. Madventure does not take responsibility for cancellations, unreliability of services or safety of operators, agents or contractors.
17. You accept that local emergency facilities are usually of a very limited nature. Hospitals outside of large cities often have no accident and emergency facilities and emergency transport facilities can be non-existent.
18. If you have a problem during your trip please inform the tour leader immediately who will endeavour to put things right. If your complaint is not resolved locally please follow this up by emailing or writing to our office giving all other relevant information and, where possible, evidence. We must receive any such complaint no later than 28 days from the date of completion of your tour in order to take appropriate action. Please keep your letter concise and to the point. This will assist us to quickly identify your concerns and speed up our response to you.
19. We do not accept any liability or responsibility for any personal possessions (including but not limited to cameras, jewellery, valuables and money) which is carried on or in our vehicles, carried on public transport or transport supplied by independent subcontractors, left in accommodation provided by us or our suppliers during a trip or left in our care during a tour. Such items are carried and/or left at your own risk.
20. Excursions or other tours that you may choose to book or pay for whilst you are on our tour are not part of your tour arrangements provided by us. For any excursion or other tour that you book your contract will be with the operator of the excursion or tour and not with us. We are not responsible for the provision of the excursion or tour or for anything that happens during the course of its provision by the operator. You accept that the prices quoted for optional activities are approximate as local prices can and do change. Any of the optional activities listed are not necessarily endorsed or recommended by Madventure. You also accept that you undertake any activity at your own risk and your participation is your own decision and does not form any part of your contract with Madventure. Madventure does not take responsibility for cancellations, unreliability of services or safety of operators, agents or contractors.
21. Whilst a tour is in progress you will at all times be expected to act in accordance with all reasonable instructions from us and/or the tour leader. We may exclude you from the tour or any part thereof at any time (including during the tour itself) if we are of the opinion that you are likely to prejudice the good order, discipline or safety of the tour, including as a result of failing to comply with the tour leader’s instructions, breaking any law or regulation of any country where the tour takes place or failing to adhere to the tour code of conduct, provided that we exercise our discretion reasonably in this regard. In such an event you shall reimburse to us any reasonable costs, losses or expenses which we incur or suffer as a result of our decision to exclude you from the tour, and Madventure shall cease to have any responsibility to/for you. No refund will be given for any unused services.
22. By completing the booking form you confirm that you appreciate the risks involved in the tour and that you do not suffer (or have ever suffered) from any pre-existing medical condition that may prevent you from actively participating in the tour other than those that have been declared to us. It is your responsibility to ensure that you are medically fit enough to undertake the tour and to ensure that you have received the necessary vaccinations and medications (and taken them as prescribed by your doctor) relevant to the destination country. Unless informed otherwise in writing we will assume that you are in good health and are not aware of any reason why you may be unsuitable to take part in the tour. We recommend that you consult your doctor before making a booking to ensure that you are medically fit and are fully aware regarding the immunizations and medical issues related to your destination countries. If you have any pre-existing medical condition, illness or disability, are undergoing medical treatment or, since entering into the contract, develop any medical condition, illness or disability or undergo any medical treatment; you will give us full particulars at the earliest opportunity and at the latest sixty (60) days before the departure date. If it is later discovered that a pre-existing condition was not declared within the specified time, and such condition would, if we had knowledge of it, have led to our refusal to accept or to cancel your booking, we reserve the right to withdraw you from the trip without any refund or recompense. In such an event, you shall reimburse to us any reasonable costs, losses or expenses which we incur or suffer as a result. In the event of you being withdrawn from a tour, no refunds will be given and we will not be responsible for (and you agree to indemnify us against) any costs, claims, losses and expenses arising including costs of repatriation, eg. flights and legal expenses. By agreeing to these conditions, you provide your consent to us and our insurers obtaining your medical records should we consider it necessary. You will be responsible for any charges for the provision of the information. We reserve the right to inspect your vaccination book at any time and to withdraw you from the tour in the event that you have not received and/or taken all the requisite inoculations and/or medication. If the information provided by you is incorrect and we discover that the correct information affects your suitability to take part in the tour, we may terminate the contract and withdraw you from the tour without refund or recompense, including during the trip. You agree and acknowledge that certain activities undertaken whilst you are on the tour may be inherently hazardous and have risks associated with them. You agree to abide by all instructions given to you whilst you are on the tour and you acknowledge that we cannot be held responsible for any injuries that may arise as a result of you failing to comply with such instructions.
23. You must be covered by personal travel insurance to undertake any Madventure tour. We recommend you take out a travel insurance policy that covers you fully against the cost of tour cancellation by you or by Force Majeure, medical care and repatriation should you become too ill to continue and above all covers you against the cost of air evacuation should sickness or injury necessitate such a course of action. You should also note that passenger liability insurance covering vehicles, particularly in third world countries, may be inadequate. It is therefore important that your travel insurance cover makes sufficient provision for your dependents in the event of an accident. Please note however that we have no control over the availability or standard of medical and repatriation services and facilities in the areas we visit and these do not form any part of our contract with you. Please remember that many of the areas we visit are not as developed as the UK and the availability and standard of such services may well be lower. Please read your travel insurance policy details carefully and take them with you when you travel. It is your responsibility to ensure that the insurance cover you purchase is suitable and adequate for your particular needs. We do not check individual insurance policies for suitability.
24. It is understood that on the Madventure tours where we use our own expedition vehicles the sections of the tour that travel through Europe, USA, Canada and Mexico are provided to you free of charge. You will not have to pay any additional fee to travel through Europe, USA, Canada and Mexico with us but it is understood that we do not operate for hire and reward in these areas. We do this purely as a legality in order to operate our specialised overland vehicle in these areas legally.
25. Privacy & Data Protection – we shall ensure that appropriate security measures are in place to protect your personal data (as defined in the European GDPR act 2018 and the UK Data Protection Act 2018) and we do not store our customers financial details. When you make a booking, you do however consent to all the information you provide being passed on to our suppliers, agents, subcontractors, employees or volunteers whether based inside or outside of Europe for the purposes of us providing you with the tour.
26. By agreeing to these terms and conditions you consent (unless otherwise stated on your application form) to our staff taking photographs and or video footage of you during the tour and that these images may be used by us for publicity and training purposes including, but not limited to, brochures, websites, marketing material and in the media.
27. We shall be entitled to novate or assign the contract or any part of it to any third party. You shall not be entitled to assign the contract or any part of it. This contract is made on the terms of these conditions, which are governed by English law, and subject to the provisions of condition you agree to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts. If any of these conditions is found by any court or other competent authority to be wholly or partly unfair or unenforceable the validity of the rest of the booking conditions and the rest of the condition in question shall not be affected and shall remain valid and enforceable to the extent permitted by law. A reference in these conditions to a statute, convention or regulation shall be as a reference to that statute convention or regulation as amended, re-enacted or extended at the relevant time. The headings in these conditions are for convenience only and shall not affect their interpretation. Where the context otherwise requires, words importing the singular meaning shall include the plural meaning and vice versa and words denoting the masculine gender shall include the feminine and neuter genders. Where the context so admits, words denoting persons shall include natural persons, companies, corporations, firms, partnerships, limited liability partnerships, joint trips, trusts, voluntary associations and other incorporated and/or unincorporated bodies or other entities (in each case, whether or not having separate legal personality) and all such words shall be construed interchangeably in that manner.
28. The information given on the website, on social media, in newsletters, in the brochure and other literature supplied is given in good faith but no warranty is given that it is correct.
29. No servant, agent or authorised representative of Madventure has authority to commit Madventure to any liability whatsoever and Madventure will not be bound by any statement or representation unless it is in writing and signed by one of the directors.
30. ABTA – We are members of ABTA, membership no. Y6801. We are obliged to maintain a high standard of service to you by ABTA’s Code of Conduct. We can also offer you ABTA’s scheme for the resolution of disputes which is approved by the Chartered Trading Standards Institute. If we can’t resolve your complaint, go to www.abta.com to use ABTA’s simple procedure. Further information on the Code and ABTA’s assistance in resolving disputes can be found on www.abta.com
31. Financial Protection – In accordance with the UK Package Travel & Linked Travel Regulations 2018, Directive (EU) 2015/2302 or the local applicable law in the country of residence of the passenger(s) booking with Madventure Ltd are fully protected for the initial deposit and subsequently the balance of all monies received by us, including repatriation costs and arrangements, arising from cancellation or curtailment of your travel arrangements due to the insolvency of Madventure Ltd.
The respective laws according to the country of residence of the passenger(s) usually only requires us to provide cover for Package & Linked Travel Arrangements, there is no requirement for Financial Protection of day trips or single elements, and none is provided unless the local law requires such. If you have questions on this then please contact Madventure Ltd.
Madventure Ltd has taken out an insurance provided by International Passenger Protection Ltd (IPP) with Liberty Mutual Insurance Europe SE (LMIE) trading as Liberty Specialty Markets, a member of the Liberty Mutual Insurance Group. LMIE’s registered office: 5-7 rue Leon Laval, L-3372, Leudelange, Grand Duchy of Luxembourg, Registered Number B232280 (Registre de Commerce et des Sociétés). LMIE is a European public limited liability company and is supervised by the Commissariat aux Assurances and licensed by the Luxembourg Minister of Finance as an insurance and reinsurance company. This insurance is only valid for passengers who book and pay directly with/to Madventure Ltd.
In the event of our insolvency please make contact as soon as practically possible giving full details of what has happened quoting the name of your Travel Operator:
For UK & Worldwide excluding EU Passengers
IPP Claims at Sedgwick
Telephone: +44 (0) 345 266 1872
or online at http://www.ipplondon.co.uk/claims.asp
For EU Passengers
IPP Claims at Sedgwick
Telephone: +31 103120666
or online at https://www.ipplondon.co.uk/claims.asp
We recommend a budget of £150 – £200 per person per week to live comfortably during this tour. This budget should cover day to day things like lunches, snacks, soft drinks, the odd few beers, etc.
Souvenirs are something that can be very cheap or very expensive so if you are going to be buying souvenirs you should budget for it.
Please also have a look at our Optional Excursions list as you may want to budget for a few of those activities too.
We recommend you bring all of your spending money on your credit/debit card as they generally accept cards everywhere in Iceland.
ATM’s are also widely available for you to draw local currency using your credit/debit card.
To keep your money/credit cards/ipod/camera/laptop safe you may want to consider purchasing a ‘Pacsafe Travelsafe’ product. They offer various size portable anti-theft bags that can be attached to the vehicle when travelling and also attached to any immovable object when off the vehicle.
Below is general information and recommendations regarding visas and passports. Visas are ultimately your own responsibility to obtain and visa requirements may vary according to your nationality and place of application, so use the information below as a guide only. Madventure is in no way responsible for obtaining your visas or passports.
Most nationalities do not require a visa to visit Iceland.
Some nationalities may require a Schengen visa to visit Iceland so if you are unsure please check with your closest Icelandic embassy.
Please ensure you have 1 free page in your passport in order to accommodate any stamps and ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 months after the tour end date.
Vaccination requirements are constantly changing so we recommend you seek the latest professional medical advice at least 8 weeks before departure to ensure you allow yourself enough time to obtain all necessary vaccinations. Nomad Travel’s website has up-to-date information on vaccinations and other general medical advice, and they also administer vaccinations at their Travel Clinics in various locations within the UK.
Alternatively speak with your local Health Professionals for current accurate information. You will need to make an appointment with your GP or Travel Clinic and take a list of the countries you are visiting and the approximate dates when you will be there.
Medically fit and able
You need to be in good general health for this tour and be reasonably fit and able. The main concern is that everyone is able to pitch in equally and do their fair share when it comes to group activities like packing gear in and out of the 4×4’s, erecting the cook tent, setting up the kitchen, etc. You will also be pitching your own tent and setting up your own sleeping gear. You do not need to be super-fit by any means and all ages are welcome. We always attract a very broad age range on these expeditions, from people in their 20’s through to people in their 70’s.
Please inform us of any medical conditions that you have before departure so that your crew know how to deal with a medical situation if it should arise. All information will be kept confidential unless you request us to inform your fellow travellers. For example, it may be wise to inform fellow travellers if you are allergic to something like bee-stings so they know what to do if you get stung.
First aid kit
We carry a comprehensive first aid kit aboard one of the vehicles but it is recommended that you bring your own basic first aid kit for general use.
It is compulsory that every person who travels with Madventure obtain travel insurance for the complete duration of the tour. Proof of travel insurance must be shown before joining a tour.
There are various travel insurance companies to choose from and a Google search will bring up a selection but we recommend a London based company named Campbell Irvine, www.campbellirvine.com +44 20 7938 1734. They are familiar with what we do so mention our name and the tour you are travelling on and they should be able to provide excellent cover for you.
For people based in North America a company called Allianz offers good cover – www.allianztravelinsurance.com +1 866 884 3556.
If you choose to obtain your travel insurance through another company please ensure you read the small-print and make sure you are covered for Medical Repatriation.
Tent: A good quality lightweight, compact, waterproof & windproof tent is recommended for this tour. If you are travelling on your own you are restricted to a 1-2 man sized tent. If you are sharing a tent, you are restricted to a 2-3 man sized tent.
Sleeping bag: Any good quality 3 or 4 season sleeping bag will be fine but one with a ‘Mummy Hood’ is a good idea for the times that it will be cold. Please make sure that your sleeping bag has a ‘crush bag’ so it can be compacted down.
Sleeping bag liner: A Thermal Fleece or Silk Liner will bring your sleeping bag up a season for times when it’s cold.
Roll Mat: A compact inflatable Thermarest roll mat is recommended. A non-compact mat will not be permitted as they take up too much room.
Pillow: If you do wish to bring a pillow (most people just bring a pillow case and stuff their fleece in it at night) then Thermarest makes a good stuff pillow that compacts down small.
Backpack/sports bag/suitcase: We recommend you carry your luggage in a backpack but irrespective if you prefer a sports bag or a suitcase you are restricted to a maximum 100 litre volume.
Day bag: You are also permitted to bring a day bag with a maximum 40 litre volume.
Pacsafe: to keep your money/credit cards/ipod/camera/laptop safe you may want to consider purchasing a ‘Pacsafe Travelsafe’ product. They offer various size portable anti-theft bags that can be attached to the vehicle when travelling and also attached to any immovable object when off the vehicle.
Kindle: optional but great to keep all your travel guides and books in 1 place.
Ipad/Tablet: not a necessity but most places have WiFi available these days so having your own Ipad or Tablet will enable you to stay connected.
Smartphone: It is highly recommended that you bring a smartphone with you as the majority of the tour communications are sent via WhatsApp. It is also very convenient for storing all your digital documents, emailing, taking and sharing photos, mapping and calling home.
Camera: completely up to you but most people bring one.
Toiletries: available everywhere but start with some toilet paper, toothpaste, toothbrush, dental floss, deodorant, soap and shampoo.
Sunblock: a minimum SPF 15 recommended.
Sunglasses: polarised lenses offer great protection.
Towel: a microfiber travel towel is a good option as it dries quickly and packs down small.
First aid kit: only a basic one is recommended but should include plasters, antiseptic cream, bandage, pain relief tablets, scissors and safety pins.
Passport: Please ensure you have 1 free page in your passport in order to accommodate any stamps and ensure your passport is valid for at least 6 months after the tour end date.
Clothes & shoes:
1 x flip flops
1 x walking shoes, trainers or boots
4 x socks
4 x underwear
1 x thermal underwear
1 x thermal gloves
4 x t-shirts
1 x lightweight long sleeve top
1 x fleece top or fleece jacket
1 x wet weather jacket
1 x wet weather trousers
2 x zip-off trousers which can be worn long or short
1 x thermal beanie or woolly hat
1 x baseball cap
1 x swimwear
At Madventure we like to go through every aspect of the tour with you to ensure that you are as informed and prepared as possible. We believe in giving you the nitty-gritty details as well as the obvious highlights as in our opinion these are just as important. We want to explain the tour in as much detail as possible so you know what to expect and be sure you are suited to one of our adventures. If after reading this, you decide that this tour is not for you then as long as it is within 14 days of your initial booking you can cancel your booking and receive a full refund of your deposit.
The following may sound a little negative at times but it’s just so we are secure in the knowledge that we have provided you with as much information as possible, the good and the bad, to ensure everybody is completely aware of exactly what type of tours we run for the benefit of you, us and your fellow travellers. There is nothing worse than having someone booked on the tour when it is not what they wanted or expected. You need to know what you are in for and be able to handle it because at times you will be exposed to all the elements and you will be camping the whole way!
Medically fit & able: You must be medically fit and able to ensure you can participate in all aspects of the tour including pitching your own tent, carrying your bags to and from the vehicles, assisting with setting up the cook tent, walking around the sites we visit, etc. You do not need to be super fit by any means but if you want to do the longer walks you do need to be reasonably fit.
When things go wrong: Please be prepared to expect the unexpected and accept that things will go wrong from time to time. These instances are usually the stories that remain with everyone so enjoy the experience. An easy-going approach will help the situation immensely. Moaning about every little thing that doesn’t go our way will not!
Attitude & Group Living: An easy-going attitude will help you enjoy this tour and ensure you are liked by your fellow travellers as well as the locals. The one thing that is extremely detrimental to any tour is your common ‘moaner’. It has nothing to do with age, gender or nationality, it just matters that although they signed up for a 16 day camping tour ‘in theory’ they cannot cope ‘in practice’ and it’s always got to be someone’s fault. It sounds a bit harsh but by weeding out any moaners early on we can have a chat with them and ensure your tour is as good as it can be.
We have no age restrictions and if there is one thing we have come to realise, through experience, is that it’s the mental attitude that counts the most and a broader age range is better on this tour as it stops the stereotyping – the more in the mix the better.
There will be parties and there will be quiet nights. There are no set rules and it always sorts itself out depending on the individual personalities of who’s on board.
Laziness and selfishness will also be spotted early on so we advise everyone to pull their weight. We can guarantee that at some stage during the tour you will have to just fit in and go with the flow when it’s not what you personally wanted to do. When situations arise where we can’t please everybody we always aim to please the majority of the group, not the individual.
Please be aware that if any particular person is constantly causing the rest of the group (or the crew) grief due to their behaviour they will be warned and then asked to leave the tour if nothing improves and no refund will be given. This is obviously the most extreme situation but we will not let one or two disruptive individuals spoil it for everybody else. Everybody knows the score from the start and this is for everyone’s benefit. Usually everybody on our tours has a relaxed approach and everybody gets on very well.
Drive times, routes & itineraries: We are driving around Iceland in a restricted time frame, so yes, there are going to be drive days but we have designed this tour so that not many of them will be long. This is quite a relaxed tour but on the longer drive days you must be able to take pleasure in the scenery or a good book from time to time.
It is unlikely to happen but sometimes we do have to alter our route slightly and the itinerary may have to be changed due to unforeseen circumstances.
Delays: We always strive to arrive at our destinations on time but if we experience any delays we will adjust our itinerary accordingly.
Drugs & alcohol: Please be aware that drugs such as marijuana and cocaine are illegal in Iceland and they enforce severe punishment for being caught in possession. NEVER carry illegal drugs on your person or on the vehicle during this tour as you would not only jeopardise your own freedom but also the well-being of the entire group if you are caught in possession.
If you are caught with any kind of illegal drugs on this tour, regardless of the amount, you will be asked to leave the tour immediately and no refund will be given. Any inconsideration can lead to the tour being cancelled and innocent people arrested. We will not hesitate to remove someone if we have to.
Aggressive or abusive drunk behaviour will not be tolerated during this tour and if anyone is constantly abusing alcohol and causing trouble we will not hesitate to remove them from the tour and no refund will be given.
Your Crew: You will have a crew of 1 tour leader and 1 driver on this tour. On some tours we may also have a cameraman who is there to help market our tours and update our social media.
Your tour leader will be in charge of routes, itineraries, food and accommodation and will ensure the smooth running of the tour. Your tour leader is not a tour guide and will not be giving you the history and facts of every place we visit, you can look up that information yourself or hire a local guide when you want to . Apart from the odd optional excursion that needs to be organised in advance, we leave most of that for you to arrange yourselves, this way ensuring you get to do what you want at the price you are happy to pay.
Your driver will drive and maintain the vehicle to a high standard but he/she is not a tour guide and may not know all the facts about Iceland.
Your crew will be hand-picked and trained by Dragoman and will have experience of overland travel but they may or may not have done this tour before. They will, however, have detailed notes from previous tours and backup from the office in the UK.
Tipping: Tipping the crew at the end of your expedition is always appreciated if you feel they have done a good job. As this is a budget tour we recommend you tip your crew a minimum of £50 each at the end of the tour. Thank you.
For more on our travel offers, click these links to the many services we offer –North and Central America Budget Group Overland Adventure Tours – North & Central America Adventure Tours – North & Central America Budget Tours – North & Central America Group Tours – North & Central America Overland Tours – South America Adventure Tour – South America Budget Overland Group Adventure Tour – South America Budget Tour – South America Group Tour – South America Overland Tour – African Adventure Tours – Africa Budget Tours – Africa Group Tours – Africa Overland Budget Group Adventure Tours – Africa Overland Tours – 5 Stans Budget Overland Group Adventure Tours – 5 Stans Adventure Tour – 5 Stans Budget Tour – 5 Stans Group Tour – 5 Stans Overland Tour- Adventure Tours – Central Asia Overland Tours – Central Asia Adventure Tours – Central Asia Budget Overland Group Adventure Tours – Central Asia Budget Tours – Central Asia Group Tours – Iceland Overland Budget Group Adventure – Iceland Adventure Tour – Iceland Budget Tour – Iceland Group Tour – Iceland Overland Tour – India, Nepal, Bhutan, Bangladesh & Pakistan Budget Group Overland Adventure Tours – Middle East Budget Overland Group Adventure Tours – Silk Road Budget Tours – Silk Road Adventure Tours – Silk Road Budget Overland Group Adventure Tours – Silk Road Group Tours – Silk Road Overland Tours – Gap Year Tours – Overland Tours – Saudi Arabia Adventure Tours – Saudi Arabia Budget Overland Group Adventure Tours – Saudi Arabia Budget Tours – Saudi Arabia Group Tours – Saudi Arabia Overland Tours – American Budget Overland Adventure Tours – Africa Budget Overland Adventure Tours – 5 Stans & Central Asia Budget Tours – Silk Road Overland Tours – Central Asia Overland Tours – Silk Road Group Tours – Central Asia Group Tours – Iceland Overland Budget Tour – Silk Road Budget Tours – Central Asia Budget Tours – Gap Year Adventure Tours – Budget Overland Adventure Tours – Overland Tours – About Adventure Travel – Adventure Tours